Working in Australia – The VISA

Visas & Immigration:

It is essential that, before traveling to Australia, you obtain a legitimate visa that will allow you to work in Australia. You will need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, Permanent Resident Visa or 4-year business visa. If you are applying for permanent residency in Australia, ensure that you plan well ahead as these visas take longer to process. In certain circumstance a company can sponsor a highly skilled migrant on a 4-year work visa.

To be eligible you must have the relevant degree and industry work experience as deemed necessary by the Australian employer. Working Holiday Visas are valid for 13 months from the day of issue and allow you to stay in Australia for a maximum of 12 months. You are eligible for a “Working Holiday Visa” if you meet the following criteria:

  • Hold a valid UK, Irish, Canadian, Dutch, Maltese, Korean or Japanese passport.
  • Are aged 18 to 29 at the date of application
  • Have no children.
  • Have enough money for your return fare. It is not necessary to have a return ticket.
  • Can show evidence of having at least 2,000 pounds in funds for your trip
  • Have not previously had a Working Holiday Visa.
  • Do not intend to take formal study in Australia.

The Australian Government intends the Working Visa to be for those travelling around the country that need to keep their finances topped up by working. The visa limits you to work for one employer for no more than three months.Visa application forms can be obtained from any Australian Consulate, Embassy or High Commission: See Department of Immigration website.

Posted in: News
CK Logo in place of featured image